|The Luxman L-590Ax|
One particular area of audio components regaining popularity are Luxman integrated amplifiers. They offer the sound of separate components, within the simple framework of a single chassis. One of my favorite Luxman integrateds is the Luxman L550Ax. This particular integrated amplifier sports a class A amplifier section. Class A Amplifiers have less distortion than a typical Class AB amplifier. Their signature sound is warmer, richer and more resolving. The drawback to a Class A amplifier is it needs more room to "breathe" because it runs warmer than a Class AB amplifier.
Luxman integrateds are extremely well built and very conservatively rated. A 30wpc Class A Luxman integrated will play nearly as loud as any other 100wpc integrated, and it will sound much better too. Most of my clients looking to simplify, or looking for a second system that sounds nearly as good as their main system go for the Luxman Class A integrated amplifier.
What makes Luxman sound better?
LECUA Volume Control
The Luxman X series integrated amplifiers use a version of the LECUA 1000 attenuator that is used in their $33,000 C-1000 preamplifier. It is perfectly balanced at all volume settings and is remarkably neutral sounding at all volume settings.
The LECUA* attenuator is designed to electrically block both electromagnetic (EMI) as well as radio frequency (RFI) interference, so that no noise is allowed into the delicate audio signal.
Luxman's proprietary ODNF (Only Distortion Negative Feedback) circuit has been updated to version 3.0A; now three passes are made of the audio signal, which applies negative feedback only where distortion is present, without introducing any phase distortion. This lossless audio circuit enables the amplifier to retrieve every musical nuance & detail captured by the recording engineers.
Other features of the Luxman L550Ax Integrated
- A separete switch for splitting the preamp section from the amp section, for example the inclusion of a Home Theater Processor, where you use the amp in the L550Ax to drive the front L + R speakers, but control the volume from the HT Processor.
- Mono, subsonic (Rumble for you vinyl lovers) & loudness filter switches on the remote control, Loudness is a wonderful feature for late night, quiet listening. It also has a few buttons that support the D-05/06/08 CD SACD players basic functions.
- The L-550Ax has a newly redesigned phono stage; which is both more refined & musical. Turntable enthusiasts will be floored by the performance of the phono section.
- Higher quality speaker terminals, spread out horizontally to allow easy access for large cable.
- The L-550Ax now has LINE STRAIGHT (engage / disengage the tone controls) & SEPARATE available on the remote control. There is no excuse for not using the tone controls, especially when they can be engaged / disengaged from the comfort of the listening chair.
- LOUDNESS, MONO & SUBSONIC (Filter) have all been moved to the remote control, an LED underneath the VU Meters is activated when they are engaged.
- The remote control includes basic controls for the D-05, 06 & 08 CD /SACD players